Monday, February 8, 2010

Article about Microsoft - NY Times

I just happened to read the following article in NY times - http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/04/opinion/04brass.html and I'm certainly appalled by their division culture.

I'm certainly not a fan of Microsoft, but I respect it for setting some standards in the industry. And it surely hurts a bit seeing a company like that succumbing to internal politics. I see a lot of new technology demos from Microsoft, but never the real product. Not even a buzz in magazines that rave about Google n Apple. With Microsoft failing in every other product (remember Vista?), I dont know what Ballmer is planning other than ridiculing other companies. There's an intense war on the mobile front, and Microsoft seems to be trying to outbeat Google with Bing and relish on Windows and Office. More recently, Motorola Droid was hailed not as an iPhone-killer, but as a Windows Mobile killer. Is any one even buying a Windows Mobile these days? When was the last time Microsoft created a killer app?

With these kind of setbacks, I wonder where Microsoft sees itself in the next 10years. If the kind of innovation-killing mentioned in the article keeps happening, MS could become a "company that is too big to fail". And as the author rightly noted, it could eventually become a GM or Chrysler.

What do you think?

2 comments:

Dorothy said...

I think MS is still dominating in enterprise products, but without a sustainable innovative culture, who knows how long that will last....and don't get started on windows mobile...lol~

Proc said...

hey DC, dont know why but I'm not able to comment in your blog !