Friday, January 2, 2009

It's 'SNO'ing

I just came up with an useless acronym for this post. That's SNO for Social Network Overloading.
I recently happened to visit a social network related site when I saw this. My instant reaction was(and still is) "how many more ??".

OK, so I Stumbled Upon it , Reddit, found it Delicious , now should I Digg it, Tweet it, Furl it, add to Newsvine, put up on my wall, make it Live and share on Google ?!!!

Among people I know , some use Digg, some Delicious, some Stumble Upon, a few Reddit, others Tweet (re-tweet) to share information. Again , some of them use Facebook, some Orkut and a few Myspace.
Add to that your daily office e-mail, your Yahoo! e-mail, your Google e-mail, your MSN e-mail(if you are a MS aficionado/employee) , your instant messengers - Sametime at office, Google Talk, Yahoo! messenger, MSN Messenger, Jabber, AOL..phew !!
All this just for a couple of words and links, think about photos,videos,presentations,reminders etc...
And RSS/Atom feeds to finally seal the deal.,
I say "Just Imagine" .

So if you are hooked to the internet, here's what you'd do
1) Log in to your email - Thankfully, atleast you can choose to see your emails under one umbrella.
2) Log in to your instant messengers
3) Open Facebook/Myspace/Orkut/Twitter/Friendfeed. Now whatever be the mode you still open it right !
4) Check your RSS/Atom feeds for some wisdom/current affairs/entertainment.
5) Use the plethora of bookmarking sites to bookmark a few of them.
6) In between , read about an obscure, unknown thing on Wikipedia !!!

And among all these do some meaningful work too (dont you ????)


So, if I want to save my time and share information among all my contacts, I need something to consolidate all of these.
Now there's the catch and the never ending story - first some guy would come up with a tool/website to consolidate all social networking sites (which has already started with Flock Browser and People Browsr), and then the second, then a third(all these with active VC funding), and it continues...

Really, I wonder how many more social networking sites are going to come up in the following years. Next time, when I visit the very same site, I'll not be surprised if I see a scrollbar or pagination to checkout all kinds of options for "sharing information".

No comments: